Chile is a great paddling destination
This trip offers something for everyone, from rafting, climbing, stand up paddling, amazing hikes/treks, and much more. Make sure you watch the videos below to see some of the activities available all around Pucon. Families are welcome to join us!
The kayaking around Pucon is amazing, with everything from class 3 to class 5. This trip offers something for every level of paddler. Check out this video of where we will be staying; The Pucon Kayak Hostel
We will be staying for three weeks, beginning the week before Christmas. More details will be coming soon, so be sure to check back often. Start planning ahead now, so you can join us in December!
Some things to consider to start planning your trip;
1) Do you have a passport? You will need one. You will also need to purchase a travel visa upon arrival in Chile. They go for around $140 US and will last the life of your passport.
2) Airfare- plan on spending between $1400-1800, depending on if you plan on flying into Santiago or Temuco. We haven't decide yet if we are going to start in Santiago and kayak a couple rivers on our way south. If you are not kayaking, the easiest option is to fly into Temuco and take a short ride to Pucon from there.
3) Paddlers- bring the right gear. The air temperature may be in the 70's and 80's in Dec/Jan, but the water is cold! Drytops and a variety of layers are recommended. Anyone who plans on kayaking should bring proper safety gear, including a rope and a break-down paddle.
4) They use the Chilean peso, so plan on exchanging some US money for expenses while in Chile, which includes; shuttles, tips, etc. Currently the exchange rate is 1 US dollar= 470 CLP
5) Lodging- there are a variety of options available at the Pucon Kayak Hostel. Depending on our group size, packages with meal options will be available- more details to come.
6) Overnights- you may want to bring a tent, if you plan on doing any overnight trips
7) Pack some warm clothing. It gets chilly at night, and if you plan on climbing any volcanoes, you will need it. Plan for any of your other activities; rafting, climbing, horseback riding, beach visits, etc
8) Kayak rentals- plan on spending about $20 a day to rent a kayak (flying a kayak is an option, but can be difficult if not impossible depending on the airline you're flying with. If you can manage to get a boat to Pucon, you may be able to sell it at the end of your stay to avoid the hassle of bringing it back.
9) Car rental- it will make getting around much easier. Kayakers may want to group funds for this expense.
10) More details coming soon, but these should give you a good start. #1- plan on taking the time off from work in Dec/Jan !!! Three weeks is the best option, but you may also do a two week option (the first two weeks, or last two weeks- specific dates will be posted soon, but plan on a start date the week of Christmas 2013.
Here is a video highlighting some of the activities to do around Pucon Chile
LOWER GAULEY RIVER TRIPS 2014
NEW-Come kayak the Lower Gauley! We have 1, 2, or 3 day trips available Gauley Festival weekend in Sept. A solid roll and comfort in class 3 whitewater is required. Lodging/camping fees not included.
1 Day Lower Gauley Adventure- $175
2 Day Lower Gauley Adventure- $300
(call to sign up! space is limited and camping is extra= We stay at the Confluence Resort in Fayetteville WV, multiple lodging/camping options are available!) or you can arrange your own camping/hotel option.
IMPORTANT: Our Cancellation Policy:We do NOT give refunds on any lesson, trip, or lesson packages purchased. If we cancel a lesson, due to high river levels, or inclement weather, we will issue a make-up date, according to availability on our schedule. We do not give refunds for any reason whatsoever. We will issue a credit towards future lessons, if needed, but no refunds will be given.You may transfer your lesson, or lesson package to someone else, but they must meet eligibility requirements prior to taking any lesson.If you need to reschedule or cancel your lesson, we require proper advance notice. You must contact us by close of business at least 48hrs prior to your lesson start time. For example;If your lesson is on a Saturday, and you wish to reschedule, you MUST contact us by 6pm on the Wednesday before your lesson. Failure to give sufficient notice, or not showing up for your lesson, is considered a “no-show” and you will forfeit your lesson and not be given a refund= NO EXCEPTIONS !!! If you cancel with proper notice, you may reschedule according to availability on our schedule.If you have any question whatsoever considering our policy, please don’t hesitate to call us! (301)840-7388 Thank You